Thursday, December 08, 2011

11 Things to Know at 25(ish)

found this article to read from a friend's sharing on fb. found it quite relevant and in fact, are things that i've personally thought about. such as having time to find a job i love, staying out of debt, volunteering, learning to feed yourself and others (i really really do wanna learn cooking properly - being able to serve a 像样的 dinner party would be nice), finding a rhythm for spiritual disciplines and i guess, quite importantly, not getting stuck.

and then there are those that i have not really given much thought about - finding a mentor and getting counselling. i guess most people think they don't need any help, but the fact is, advice from an older person with more experience, and advice from professional help is sometimes very much needed (whether one sees it or not). i have meet-ups with colleagues (past and present) to have coffees or lunches with occasionally, and they have many times always provided me with questions to ponder about. i guess perhaps i should make an effort to meet up with them more frequently.

i regret to say that, being in the mid of my late twenties, i have yet to discover what job i would love to do, yet to do any volunteer work for the past few years, yet to learn to cook - my cooking skills are only at a very basic level (frying an egg, cooking rice/instant noodles, boiling simple soups) and yet to develop a prayer life (other than sunday, it's almost nonexistent).

unfortunately, my past three years have mostly been spent recovering from my injuries sustained from my car accident. each time i thought i would have completely recovered (that's never going to happen actually, some impairments are here to stay), a 'residue' from an old injury happens and i go back to square one - taking long medical leave, and having to extent into no-pay leave from work.

but from these period of calamity, i have discovered friends whom i know i will have to keep. friends who have been there for me throughout the entire time. friends who go out of the way to help me, providing me much needed comfort. and there were even some relatively new friends who made an effort to keep themselves updated with my condition. and of course, there is my family, who have been there for me every step of the way. there is definitely no way i could have gotten through this without them. they were there when i first regained consciousness from my nine-hour emergency operation after the accident all the way in another country, they were with me throughout my recovery, of course including now. they were just there, no complaints, because we were family. the accident may have delayed my plans to get on with life, but it has shown me that i am really blessed with very supportive and caring family and friends.

with that i am comforted. at least my past three years have not been entirely wasted, though i could probably think of ten thousand and one things i could have done, would have done during that time. well i could have thought of them, but i have never indulged myself into thinking of the 'what could have been' at all. perhaps i do not know how. honestly, i have already long forgotten how it's like to be able to walk freely, to run, to jump, to not have to plan out your journey (just to the shopping mall) way before you even step out of the house. i should not be too surprised actually, i know myself to adapt very quickly - i never had any problems adjusting in a new environment, be it in a new school, at a new workplace or even a new country. i simply go with the flow. but with that, sometimes, i do not know how to dream, of doing something different. i just take what life hands out to me. maybe i am blessed that way, i don't keep thinking of the 'what could have been' and so, i don't feel like i'm missing out too much, i am just too easily satisfied/content sometimes. i'm not one with big ambitions who needs a high flying job. all i ask for is a happy and healthy life surrounded by loved ones, family and friends.

now with the upcoming hip joint replacement (due to the avn of my left hip), it's probably going to be my last period of recovery (i'm praying really hard that it is), i have no more excuses to procrastinate. i should start giving serious thought about what i would like to do next. what makes me happy? what do i really want? actually it's not that difficult, my basic requirement is just to be happy, in whatever i do. and then there's perhaps a slightly 'harder' one - to experience as many things as possible. and one of those items on my list - study or work overseas for a period of at least twelve months. it's not just the freedom that i crave (i honestly do not like having to report my every movement to someone), but i think it is really good training for one to grow up, be more independent and become more like an adult (most people get married and have kids to do that, but i have seen many who still remain a kid themselves even after having their own kids. plus i doubt i will be able to get married anytime soon, so this is probably the best avenue for me to go).

after writing so much, i guess there's no time better than now to get started on 'getting on with my life'. so instead of just waiting around, i'll have to stop procrastinating and start taking some action. but it's late now, so i'll start early tomorrow (speaking of which, i need to stop 'oversleeping' and give myself more meaning to wake up earlier).

time for bed. goodnight world! :)

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home