Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Colleague vs Friend

i went to see my p today in his office to let him approve the invitation letter that we are going to send to the guest-of-honour for our school's 45th anniversary celebrations.

he looked at the letter, then looked at me and asked, "why are you the one doing this?"

i was stunned for awhile and simply replied, "cos i'm the one doing it la. but actually this hod drafted the letter, so i'm just following up." (it was her job to draft the letter but she just passed it to me cos the theme wasn't settled yet. so she asked me to help put in the theme and then get p to approve and sign and send it out.)

i should have said, "i've no idea either. not sure why this hod is not completing it and i'm the one suddenly handling it."

it got me thinking about how convenient it is for them (colleagues in general, my own staffs included) to simply leave their work with me, always making me think that it's my job to do it, when obviously my p thought otherwise. maybe being too friendly with some of your colleagues ain't such a good thing. you find it really hard to reject them when they ask for your help. to them, it's just more convenient for you to do it. sometimes i can't help feeling that they are being friendly with me simply for the motive that i will help them when it's to their advantage. sometimes, you can just tell. to them, you're just a colleague, a helping hand, but definitely not a friend.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home